8.6 inches Tart Ring with 1.2 inches Sides
5.7 ounces plain flour
1.4 ounces ground, blanched almonds
1.4 ounces powdered sugar
0.3 ounces cold butter, cubed
1 egg, beaten
- Process the flour, powdered almonds, sugar and cold butter for a few seconds until coarse crumbs form.
- Add the egg and process just until it forms a ball.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour in the refrigerator.
The streusel (crumbled pastry topping):
2.6 ounces butter
1.7 ounces powdered sugar
0.7 ounces blanched ground almonds
0.7 ounces sugar
3.5 ounces plain flour
Pinch of vanilla powder or seeds of 1/8 vanilla bean
- Soften the butter using the beater attachment.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until crumbly.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator.
The almond – pistachio cream:
2.5 ounces butter
2.5 ounces sugar
2.5 ounces ground, blanched almonds
1 large egg
2 tablespoons dark rum
0.5 ounces cornstarch
1 tablespoon pistachio paste (available in baking supply stores)
- Cream the butter in the mixer with the beater attachment.
- Add the sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the ground almonds and then the eggs one by one.
- Add the rum and finally the cornstarch and continue beating until very creamy; then add the pistachio paste and mix well.
3 tablespoons of Cherry Shiraz preserve
Powdered sugar for decoration
Coarsely chopped, pistachios for decoration
- Lightly dust the work surface with flour.
- Roll out almond pastry until it is 0.2 inches thick; line the tart ring or mold with the pastry.
- Chill and spread the Cherry Shiraz preserve on the almond pastry.
- Fill the tart shell with the almond pistachio cream.
- Crumble the streusel over the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes in a preheated oven to 280°F.
When the tart cools, dust it with powdered sugar and sprinkle over the chopped pistachios.
Life’s simple pleasures…
Enjoy with love